Thursday, August 5, 2010

Technology is ruining my self esteem. I mean technology is great; I love being able to stalk girls I went to high school with on facebook and simultaneously think "Her baby is the cutest!" and "I can't believe she has a kid (or two or three)." But it also allows us to stalk people in ways we never could have imagined and to the detriment of our well-being.

So I write on someone's wall or send them a message and I wait and wait for them to reply...and they don't. Ok, fine, they haven't been on facebook for a while and then I notice that they have most definitely have been on facebook, and have taken the time to post a link, write on someone else's wall and like someone's status. This turns me into a middle school girl and I think "OMG, why doesn't she like me more than this person? WHAT did I do wrong? Does she think I am fat? AM I FAT? What if she NEVER writes on my wall!? Fine. FINE. I don't need her as a friend - I have enough friends...nope, untrue. I NEED HER BACK HOW CAN I WIN HER BACK?" I do this far too often with too many people than is really healthy. It's actually worse than middle school, because there was no news feed that told you "Carrie wrote back to Samantha at 2:45pm via oragami note."

Eventually, whether or not they ever write back, I just feel like a crazy person.

2 comments:

  1. note to self: never delay responding to claire online

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't feel obligated to cater to my insanity, friend.

    ReplyDelete