Thursday, June 10, 2010

Something that really bothers me is when I'm feeling down or upset about something and someone else reminds me that it could be worse. I remember going through a rough break up (or two...) in high school and my mom told me to stop feeling bad at least I didn't have cancer, like our neighbor. So not only did I feel upset about my own problems but I also felt guilty about feeling upset. There can always be something worse that could happen to you, but your feelings are your feelings, no matter what the cause, and I don't think anyone has the right to invalidate them.

I told my mom that her comment only made me feel worse by adding guilt and anger to my own feelings and she replied that thinking about someone who is worse off than she puts her problems in perspective and reminds her that what's going on isn't really that bad. Is this the case for other people? Am I unusual in this respect? I want the right to have my own feelings, regardless of how silly they seem, and not have them belittled or invalidated.

No comments:

Post a Comment