Friday, July 16, 2010

"cal-i-fornia girls, we're unforgettable, daisy dukes, bikinis on top"

So, I have developed a really bad habit: listening to Kiss108.

I've always been a classic rock fan, so when I would put the radio on, it was a classic rock station. I watched MTV (remember TRL?!) in middle school and was really into popular music then (I had Korn with the backwards R written on my 5 Star binder in silver Sharpie just like everyone else), but at some point I just stopped watching MTV and listening to current music. I didn't dislike popular music; I just mysteriously stopped listening to it. I was never into Indie music either and I was content to listen to my Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Usually it would take me 6-12 months to hear a popular song and I would hear it, love it and tell a friend about it, only to have her tell me that the song came out last year. I thought Flo Rida was pronounced like the state.

Anyways, the same mysterious force behind my shift away from popular music has recently prompted me to start listening to the radio, mainly Kiss108. I come into work every morning and put the station on on my computer and hear the same 7 songs all day. And I kinda love it. I could probably quote you all the lyrics to "Alejandro" and "OMG".

So my wonderful boyfriend, Joe, hates most popular music (not without good reason, a lot of it is terrible) and will avoid listening to it if at all possible. Recently, when we have gone out, I have been screaming out the lyrics to these terrible, terrible songs and he has sadly realized that I have abandoned the anti-pop music club. It's pretty amusing to see the mixture of emotion in his face: shock, confusion, embarrassment, betrayal and sadness.

I don't know what has caused me to be more connected with my music generation and I don't know when I will slip back into my classic rock bubble.

2 comments:

  1. you dont have to slip back into your "rock bubble". I dont think you have ever left it! Quite frankly, expanding your musical horizons is a good thing. And should Joe say that what you are listening to at work is not "music", why i just might agree with him! But, it doesnt make it any less fun to listen to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. first: hi joe!

    second: i worked in a lab where the senior grad student chose the music. that was the summer of "beautiful girl" and "big girls don't cry". i legit heard those songs once an hour for 60 days straight. i don't know why they claim they have variety. it's like AT&T claiming they have good coverage.

    ReplyDelete